So two years ago today, I published my first post on staplesandstyle. At the time, I thought I had a pretty good hang of what I was doing but with more published posts came more self doubt and uncertainty. I’m glad and appreciative of where I am today because it may not be regarded as a lot but I’m wiser, better and smarter than I was when I published my first post…which you can read here lol!
I thought to share some lessons I’ve learnt in blogging thus far:
1. Be yourself and enjoy every bit of it. It took a while to believe in the value of my content, but the minute the scales fell off, I forgot what it meant to have a care in the world. Whether I’m babbling about a new skincare brand or fooling myself on my Instagram stories, I have fun with it.
2. Invest in your craft. The times are changing and what applied in summer this year definitely doesn’t apply now. The only way to grow your brand is by making it better than what it was. This year, I invested in a new lens, I upgraded my photo editing software to Lightroom, I taught myself how to edit and I make a conscious effort to maintain a cohesive theme on my Instagram- yes, it’s a deliberate effort.
3. Have friends in the industry. I am sincerely grateful for the blogger friends I have made along the way. The ones I reach out to when an unfamiliar brand requests to collaborate, the ones I ask to accompany me when I’m invited to events, the ones that connect me to brands…yes! This happens and I just call up on the phone to have a chinwag. I am grateful to you ladies.
4. Don’t be stuck up! Lool- but it’s true. I remember reaching out to Demi and telling her that I didn’t know the first thing about the back-end of my word press blog. Things are very different now but the information we shared during that conversation was very vital. Don’t be too proud to ask for help when you need to.
5. The competition does not exist, except you want it to. The way I see it now, all my other blogger friends are more peers than they are competitors. The only competitor I recognize is myself because I am determined to outdo my past, not the next person.
Thank you to everyone who has joined the SAS family. I hope to continue giving you reason to follow my blog.
This time around, I did an indoor shoot in my apartment and I lope you like it. Leave a comment below and let me know!
P.S: I fall deeper in love with my short hair with each passing day.
Make up: Agetouchup